About Me

My photo

Independent
Close to my Heart
Consultant

Contact me today to schedule your home gathering or place an order!

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Foiling Attempt FOILED -- Sharing the Love


Foil is all the rage.  Gold, silver, all colors of the rainbow... It's everywhere!  And as we all know, once something becomes trendy, the how-to techniques/products begin... and once they begin, so do the hacks / "knock-off" tips and tricks.  And of course, I have to try them.

Not wanting to invest in another expensive crafting machine, I opted for the inexpensive laminator method.  After doing lots of online research, I asked for and received the Amazon Basics laminator for Christmas. For my first test, I used the Heidi Swapp Minc foil and ready-to-foil tags.  Test successful!  Not perfect, but successful enough for me and my budget.  :-)

Of course, after several ready-to-foil projects, I had to push the envelope and try to develop my own technique of sorts.  I wanted to be able to foil stamped images and projects I created myself.  So I stamped a couple panels using the the Share the Love stamp set (now retired) and scanned it into my computer.  I printed the image back out on cardstock using a laser printer - as the foil is supposed to react with the toner from a laser printer.  Then it was time for another foiling test.  Unfortunately, this time -- not successful.  :-(

As you can see (barely) in the picture below, some of the foil attached, but some didn't.  It was pretty close to half / half -- but spread throughout the entire image.  While not a full coverage, it had an almost sparkle/shimmer-like finish.  



I decided to use the "hello" panel to finish that card because it looked kinda cool, but I scrapped the "smile" panel and used the original stamped version instead.

While it's back to the drawing board for how to foil stamped images, I haven't given up.  I've seen some other suggestions / tutorials on how to do this and I am determined to find a way!  I'll be sure to share when I do.  ♥


Supplies used:
*La Vie En Rose paper packet
*12" x 12" Black cardstock
*12" x 12" Fern cardstock
*12" x 12" Peacock cardstock
*5 1/2" X 4 1/4" white cards & envelopes, value pack
*Share the Love stamp set
*Black Memento ink pad
*Gold shimmer trim
*Bling gems gold assortment
*Red enamel hearts

*Heidi Swapp Minc reactive foil - teal

To order these or any of our other fabulous Close to My Heart products, please visit http://jddesigns.ctmh.com.

Until next time, design with {heart}!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I {heart} your comments!